Carpet fading is a change in color over an extended period of time. Fading actually starts the second you place your rug or carpet in any natural light, even if you haven’t noticed it yet. If you would like to keep your carpet or rug in excellent condition, the best time to take action is immediately! Here are some helpful tips to prevent your carpets from fading.
- Move Rugs Out Of Direct Sunlight: Even if the sun could potentially reach your carpet, your best bet is to move it to the central point in a room, opposed to next to the windows.
- Install UV-Blocking Window Films: Window films that block the sun’s harmful UV rays will go a long way to prevent fading.
- Use Solar Shades: Solar shades work in much the same way as window film, except they’re actual window shades that you can open and close.
- Keep Your Drapes Pulled During the Day: If you don’t mind a dark and cozy room during the day, invest in attractive drapes with light-blocking liners. Keeping these pulled throughout the brightest hours of the day will help extend the life of floors, carpets, rugs, and upholstery.
- Use Carpet & Rug Protectors: Many retail stores sell fluorocarbon protectors that need to be applied periodically. Just make sure you purchase the correct product that is safe for carpet or rug material.
As you can see, there are plenty of different ways to help avoid sun fading on rugs and carpeting. Take a look at your room, identify the most effective option for your situation, and then implement it. Just a small amount of effort here and there can have major results. If in doubt, ask for advice from a professional carpet cleaning company.